FrostReaver.net Forums

To register, please send an email to admin@frostreaver.net

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not really find a game, but don't know where else to put it  (Read 436 times)

muldactus

Have an idea that I've been tossing around for a long time of something similar to an escalation league.  Only instead of just increasing the points value every so often, include the modelling and painting as well. 

The idea would be, start off with your army and units NiB or at least unassembled and unpainted - either buy the army all at once at the start, or buy it a bit at a time over the course of the league.    The league would start at say 500 pts, and players would have a set amount of time to collect, assemble, model and paint the units for their 500 pts - maybe 2 weeks, or a month (whatever seems most feasible).  Then at regular intervals (say 2-3 weeks?) the value of the army is increased by a certain amount - 200 pts, or whatever. When the first period ends, you know you've got 2 weeks to get another 200 pts ready.  Between each time frame, members get together to play small games, show what they've got so far, and perhaps discuss ideas for where to take the army or what to do differently.

For example, the league might officially start July 1st. Members of the league have 1 month to collect, assemble, model, and paint 600 pts.  On August 1st, (or thereabouts) members should have those 500 pts ready to field, and as able get together with other players to play them and show them off.

On August 15th, the army size is 800 pts, so between the 1st and the 15th members assemble, model and paint another 200 points to add to the first 500.  After the 15th, they get together again to play, show off and discuss.

On September 1st, the army size grows to 900 points, and so on every 2 weeks.  The final army size would be perhaps 2000 points and take several months to reach - giving members time to buy, assemble and paint units as needed. 

I know there's an escalation league going on at CC, but my understanding is that while the game size grows each week there isn't any limitations or expectations on starting from scratch or actually building up the army over the course of the league play.

Has anyone done anything like this before?  Would anyone be interested in doing something like it sometime?  I know that when I was at CC last tuesday it seemed like there were several players new to the game, so something like this might be a good way to help them slowly build up an army, and give the vets a fun modelling/building challenge.

-Sterling

FrostReaver

• First, I blew the Rhino...
  • Administrator
  • COOKIE!!!
Re: Not really find a game, but don't know where else to put it
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 10:57:23 PM »

This is kind of a multi part answer, so please bear with me to the end. Also, keep in mind that these are just my opinions and not necessarily the opinion of the group as a whole.

First, let me say a word about escalation leagues as a whole. The general idea behind them is to allow new players to play on a somewhat even playing field with more experienced players. It also allows them to begin playing as soon as possible rather than making them wait until they get a sizeable army together. There are also players who take the opportunity to do exactly as you suggest and build a new army they have been wanting to try out. Really, they are fantastic for multiple purposes for the group, that's why you see so many of them being run by FRAG and by stores like CC.

Let's be honest though. The price of 40K has gone up... considerably. With 5 man squads from 35-50 bucks and some models over the $100 mark, building an army can be expensive. Many of our players simply can't afford the extra cost required and we don't want to exclude anybody if we can help it. In fact, some of our members even loan out their models to others so they can play in the high point games if they can't field enough on their own. If we required each person to purchase and paint their own models, it would put an end to the "loaners" and exclude some players from the games.

There are also the old vets out there to think about. The guys that have been playing for years and collected their armies pretty much as far as they intend to go with them. In some cases, they are the guys you see winning tournaments, and in others they are the faces you see in the crowd but not on the podium. Each of them has something to offer the new player, from bits of wisdom to a good quality game. To tell them that they can't use the armies they've painstakingly collected and painted over the years is the same as telling them that they can't play. Losing the atmosphere that the vets bring with them to the table hurts everybody.

That's pretty much it. At least, those are the reasons I don't run or encourage at league that requires you to start from scratch. Stores may choose to do so, as it does offer them the potential for more sales, but in all honesty, I don't have a lot of faith in getting the large numbers that current escalation leagues get. However, you might approach one of the with the idea and see if they can help you get the ball rolling if it's really what you want.
"Come on Fry! We've got slavin' to do!" - Bender
"Oh that woman! Got a mouth like an outboard motor!" - Foghorn Leghorn

My Project Logs