FrostReaver.net Forums

To register, please send an email to admin@frostreaver.net

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heroquest Kickstarter cancelled  (Read 554 times)

FrostReaver

• First, I blew the Rhino...
  • Administrator
  • COOKIE!!!
Heroquest Kickstarter cancelled
« on: December 06, 2013, 11:09:20 AM »

For those who aren't aware, there was a very brief Kickstarter for the Heroquest 25th Ann set that came up and raised over $400K in about 3 days. Then it got hit with an IP issue and has since been cancelled.

From what I understand, the company doing the game is moving to another service like kickstarter that's located elsewhere, but I'm not really big on the idea of using another service. Guess I won't be getting that little beauty after all. I has a sad.

Was anyone else planning on backing this? What are your thoughts on the matter?
"Come on Fry! We've got slavin' to do!" - Bender
"Oh that woman! Got a mouth like an outboard motor!" - Foghorn Leghorn

My Project Logs

thebrowndandy

• Resident Closet Monster
  • Global Moderator
Re: Heroquest Kickstarter cancelled
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 08:35:19 AM »

I think the issue/plan was that it was a Spanish company looking to produce a reprint of Heroquest. An American company had purchased the copyright to the name "Heroquest". But was planning on releasing a different game.
The issue was that the Spanish company was using an American site to raise funds and distribute their product in the U.S. which would violate the other company's copyright. So I believe there were plans to move it to a European version of Kickstarter there by avoiding U.S. copyright law.
So... watch Ebay and be prepared to pay shipping.

I'm still surprised that company A didn't just cut a check to company B after drawing so much interest at the beginning.
Space Wolves 1-0-0
Magic: The Gathering 6-2

derek

• FRAG Rules Lawyer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 08:58:20 AM »

It's unknown exactly how much the IP troll at Moon Designs (company B) was asking.  Postings from the legal types on Dakka (weeble1000 is a good one to filter posts for) seem to indicate that they don't actually own the copyright on Heroquest for board games, only for use in RPGs.  From what has been posted elsewhere, the entire thing smells like a cash grab from Moon Designs.   Pay us a cut of your Kickstarter and we'll go away, oh and just to make it worse we're going to put in some vague threat about Hasbro.  Hasbro has a known licensing fee for using their IP, it's 20k which would be easily paid with the way the KS was going, so it wasn't really an issue there.  It was expected that KS should have sided with Gamezone considering they have the rights to produce and distribute Heroquest in Spain, if an American consumer chooses to buy it, that should have been their right.  Either way, this will get made, and will eventually be attainable.  If anything, this created a lot of animosity toward a company (Moon Designs) that is already having trouble fulfilling their previous Kickstarter.
Michael Jordan plays ball.  Charles Manson kills people.  I talk.  Everyone has a talent.
-Nick Naylor, Thank You For Smoking

FrostReaver

• First, I blew the Rhino...
  • Administrator
  • COOKIE!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 08:01:40 PM »

They have a previous kickstarter? What was it?
"Come on Fry! We've got slavin' to do!" - Bender
"Oh that woman! Got a mouth like an outboard motor!" - Foghorn Leghorn

My Project Logs

derek

• FRAG Rules Lawyer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 09:01:23 PM »

Guide to Glorantha, some kind of RPG background book.

Edit: Found the link again - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/224590870/the-guide-to-glorantha

Originally scheduled for February 2013, then May, and it's now December and the updates say they haven't even sent the first volume of two to the printer.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 12:04:04 AM by derek »
Michael Jordan plays ball.  Charles Manson kills people.  I talk.  Everyone has a talent.
-Nick Naylor, Thank You For Smoking