FrostReaver.net Forums

To register, please send an email to admin@frostreaver.net

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Post #2000  (Read 545 times)

thebrowndandy

• Resident Closet Monster
  • Global Moderator
Post #2000
« on: December 21, 2013, 11:02:58 AM »

It's not often that you glance up at your avatar and see that you have 1999 posts. It's like watching your odometer turn over, you just happen to look at it at the right time and see it coming. Seeing this coming gives me the opportunity to make a specific post about the subject and allows me to summarize my time with FRAG and wargaming in general.

The year was 1996 and I had a friend that was really involved in the churches youth group. He was always trying to get me to participate too. Sometimes I would, but mos of the time I never considered myself part of the group. One of the members of the group was a guy who was older than us, Danny was his name. Early 20's I believe and he was a gamer. I loved games so I gravitated to him. He taught me Warhammer 40k.
This was 2nd edition and I liked Orks from the start. Danny had the 2nd edition starter, but he played Tyranids. He let me have his 20 Goffs and 40 Gretchin, I painted them all up and we had several lopsided battles where his Hormogaunts raced across the field and tore me to pieces. Did I mention Danny was a power gamer?
3rd edition was released and Nids were considered neutered. I felt like the Orks lost a lot of flair and orky things that made them special. Danny switched to Ultra Marines... more lopsided battles followed. Eventually Danny and I stopped playing, I think he moved, can't remember why to be honest.

I stayed interested in the hobby but never had anyone else in my group of friends that were even slightly open to picking up the game. We had been  Magic players and no one wanted to spend more money on another game.
I picked up the 3rd edition starter. This gave me 10 Space Marines and 20 Dark Eldar. I had no interest in the Dark Eldar, but I figured I already had 10 Marines and I like assault... I'll start Space Wolves. I began several years of building and painting but not playing.

Sometime around 2006 I decided it was time to try and join the hobby, so I did what anyone would do. I placed an ad on Craigslist seeking a 40k opponent. To my surprise I got a response from Matt Clayton. Matt was another Tyranid player and he suggested that we go to a store called Game Cafe in Independence and get a game in.
We played for a while and had a few players join in sometimes, but we were still very small. Tom allowed me to straighten up the Games Workshop merchandise and make the area more presentable. Our first tournament consisted of Matt and myself, I lost. We started playing on Tuesday nights because the Courthouse exchange had Taco Tuesdays with specials on draft beer. This kept up for a while, the numbers of 40k players swelling from time to time. In 2008 we decided to host an 'Ard Boyz tournament that was at that time sponsored by GW.

The tournament had a large number of attendees. More than we expected and a lot of people that we had never seen in the store before. As it turns out this group was the early version of FRAG, just known as the Frostreaver group at that point. I found out that they had come to our event because they assumed we were a bunch of noobs and they were gonna roll us to take the prizes. I did however manage to take second and went on to the regionals, where I was defeated soundly.
This meeting changed the wargaming scene in Kansas City though. Speaking with Dave and the Frostreavers we developed a kinship and decided to start working together. They were based out of Pulp Fiction in Lee's Summit, our group was of course Game Cafe in Independence. By working together we tried to share players and organize the community. Each store started running tournaments each month on the Frostreaver banner and eventually the FRAG banner. (Which FRAG is an acronym I came up with.)
I handled the Game Cafe events: One 40k Tournament a month, and usually two separate league nights a month. For a while we tried adding Fantasy but with little interest it always died off. Things were really busy and really good for a while, but I feel that players started to get burned out. Our numbers suffered with the sheer amount of events taking place and the Tournament Organizers were kept busy.
To my surprise we had Power Struggles and Betrayals. I kept telling myself, "This is a game club, not the throne. It's more of a pain in the ass than anything. Why do people want to run things so much?" I've never been the type to say, I'm in charge and it's going to be my way. The reason that I ran events is because I wanted events to be there, and there was no one else doing it. I feel like every time I passed the torch to someone to start running things, they would eventually stop doing it and let the events die. So I would find myself trying to pick up where they left off, it would become frustrating over time.
FRAG continued to expand. At one point I stopped running events at Game Cafe and moved north to The Basement and started running events up there. Eventually The Basement starting running their own events so I stopped. I moved back into Game Cafe for a while trying to repair the hole that was left there. Like so many things in our hobby, there is demand, there is interest, but there isn't always follow through or completion. My last league started with 14 players and ended with 4.

By this time in my personal life I had gotten married and had started a family. As most of you know this affects hobby time. In 2013 I've played in 2 events, a tournament and Tanksgiving. I enjoyed both and hope to get more hobby time in, in the future.

I ain't dead yet... but anyone wanna buy a Warriors of Chaos army?
Space Wolves 1-0-0
Magic: The Gathering 6-2

derek

• FRAG Rules Lawyer
  • Global Moderator
Re: Post #2000
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 01:11:01 PM »

You should eBay the Warriors, and start playing at GC on Tuesdays again.  I will be making/trying to make every other week of Tuesday game nights again starting mid January.  Someone should do an escalating (Can't call it Escalation anymore due to confusion *frown*) league or something.
Michael Jordan plays ball.  Charles Manson kills people.  I talk.  Everyone has a talent.
-Nick Naylor, Thank You For Smoking

thebrowndandy

• Resident Closet Monster
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 01:24:05 PM »

Gavin has been.

My wife is working and her busy night is Tuesday so she's probably never gonna have that off.
Space Wolves 1-0-0
Magic: The Gathering 6-2

derek

• FRAG Rules Lawyer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 03:39:31 PM »

I saw, it ended last week though, new year, new league.  And boo, that's two people I enjoy playing that have working wives on Taco Tuesday.
Michael Jordan plays ball.  Charles Manson kills people.  I talk.  Everyone has a talent.
-Nick Naylor, Thank You For Smoking