FrostReaver.net Forums

To register, please send an email to admin@frostreaver.net

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saint FRAGenstein's Day Massacre @ Collector's Cache - Intro to Apoc!  (Read 1191 times)

paulbenner

Hi guys,

I want to put this out here, as we've got the legs under this event.  While time is drawing short, I do want to get the word out there.

I will be hosting an Apocalypse game at Collector's Cache on Feb 15th.  This is the day after Valentine's day, I know, but I also know that a good many of us are (HAPPILY!) single. 

This is meant to be 100% an introduction to the general principles of Apocalypse.  The goal will to be getting a bi-monthly Apocalypse game going, and to use the first few times to get enough players up to speed that we can just drop a few people in at a time, very quickly. 

For this first game, anyone is welcome.  Please be willing to adhere to the following:

1) Bring your army list in round 1000 point increments, you can bring as much as you want, but understand that as this is an introduction, you may only be fielding a small detachment as part of a larger force.
2) We may have very odd alliances for the first few games, please be willing to work inside the ideal that this is a learning experience and we're not here just to blow the other team off the table.
3) For the first game, there will be NO FORMATIONS and NO SUPERHEAVIES. 

If you have them, please bring the following:

Strategic Asset Cards
Apocalypse Templates
Apocalypse Books

This will help keep the game going smoothly. 

I will not be playing, but will be organizing.  Exact mission and details will be determined later, but if you want to come down and play, please do. 

We will be using this as part of the RttM event, and will be giving out (1) Drawing ticket to every player that completes the event. 

Thanks for your support, any experienced players are welcome. 

Best,

Paul B
FRAG Kansas Council Member

Unholyllama

Re: Saint FRAGenstein's Day Massacre @ Collector's Cache - Intro to Apoc!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 09:40:40 AM »

I'm in!

One question though for clarification - Apoc rulebook states that you don't have to abide by any force org chart. So theoretically, could I bring 1000pts of just ork boyz or just 1000pts of Necron Characters?

paulbenner

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 11:13:53 AM »

Yes, this is correct.  But remember, Apocalypse is truly a game that can be broken without much work and skewed in one direction or another. 

Since we'll be working with large teams, you could bring a very fast, very hard hitting contingent, and be tasked with X role in the over-all battle, and just focus on that. 

Objective clearing, tarpitting, tank busting, etc.  You'll have one "Commander" that is directing the over-all flow of the battle, but the individual commanders under him will be attempting to take care of their parts of the battle without micro management. 

Paul

FrostReaver

• First, I blew the Rhino...
  • Administrator
  • COOKIE!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 11:27:02 AM »

I can't be there that day due to work reasons, but I do have a Apoc rulebook and a set of Apoc templates I would be more than willing to loan to someone who needs them.
"Come on Fry! We've got slavin' to do!" - Bender
"Oh that woman! Got a mouth like an outboard motor!" - Foghorn Leghorn

My Project Logs

paulbenner

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 11:43:28 AM »

I do want to add, that you must have (1) HQ model in your force.  This is the model representing your character on the battle field, and he is worth points to have dead, per the standard Apoc rules.

Best,

Paul

SunDanzer

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 07:26:13 PM »

#1. is Collector's Cache going to be open earlier than 12am and later than 6pm for this event ?

#2. you should allow each person showing up to have a Super Heavy 9 hull points or less. And allow certain formations to be fielded. This is what apocalypse is about. Otherwise its just a large 40k game.

it is not to late for each side to have a warmaster and he can help the other gamers on that side to balance their army and help with formations that are effective.

this version of apocalypse requires way more balancing and planning than the previous version

(my fifty cents)
Paul

paulbenner

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 10:07:54 PM »

Hi SunDanzer,

To answer your questions;  I have made arrangements specially for this event, and should we need a little more time for tear down, this will be available.  This doesn't mean we're going to be playing until 9pm, as I would like to call the last turn start no later than 4:30 in order to try to get through it. 

While I do appreciate your input, the overall mechanics of the new Apocalypse are involved enough that I would rather have people playing things they are fully comfortable with until the basic mechanics are understood by the group.  This will be the first in a series of events designed to introduce players with smaller armies into the ideals and strategies of the larger game.  This is not designed to be a slug fest, this is designed to be a thematic  learning experience, not a "Lets just throw it all on the table".

Apocalypse is NOT about super heavies and formations, yes, they exist for that purpose, but that's not what it's all about.  The ideal is to be able to field a massive game with additional mechanics above and beyond.  Once you get past Strategic Asset, Stratagems, and the like, there is a good chunk under the hood.  Theses additions will be slowly added, but that's not what this is supposed to be about. 

Due to the nature of what I am doing, I'm not going to pre-plan anything.  Hell, we may not play more than 1-2 turns, but we'll at least walk away smarter about it than we were. 

Cloud3514

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 07:18:37 AM »

Considering how previous attempts at Apoc events have gone, I'd say this is a good idea. We can get people more educated on how to play Apoc so we don't have a repeat of a certain trainwreck that will remain otherwise unmentioned. I'll definitely join in, hopefully I'll have the money to build a Librarius before we start using formations.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:20:28 AM by Cloud3514 »

paulbenner

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 11:40:37 PM »

Hi guys,

I am proud to report that this event was a success,  even if not a total one.  We played a very stripped down version of Apoc, but I believe that fun was had. 

All in all it was a successful day. 

Round two is shooting for the 12th or 19th of April.  Final date and information coming soon. 

We will add in additional rules to our next round.  Players that are comfortable with their armies will have a single formation available to them, and we will have a Super Heavy on the table.   We will also add Strategic assets and the like as we move forward.   

I hope more people are able to join us. 

Paul

Busterwolf

• One Step At A Time.
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 04:39:57 AM »

Hi guys,

I am proud to report that this event was a success,  even if not a total one.  We played a very stripped down version of Apoc, but I believe that fun was had. 

All in all it was a successful day. 

Round two is shooting for the 12th or 19th of April.  Final date and information coming soon. 

We will add in additional rules to our next round.  Players that are comfortable with their armies will have a single formation available to them, and we will have a Super Heavy on the table.   We will also add Strategic assets and the like as we move forward.   

I hope more people are able to join us. 

Paul

I am glad it worked out for you guys, and that you had a fun time at a fun store! If I need to show up early don't hesitate to ask, anything I can do to help grow the 40k community i'll be sure to do it!

Cloud3514

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 02:37:48 AM »

Hey, Paul, I've got my Librarius built. I'm posting to confirm that it is a legal choice for a formation in the next game.

paulbenner

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 09:17:21 AM »

I am not going to limit formations other than a maximum of (1) Per player.  If we wind up with a bunch of Str D weapons, they may be toned down to Str 10 instead. 

Paul

paulbenner

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 11:40:22 AM »

Hi Guys,

The 13th is not going to work, nor is the 20th (Easter). 

We are tentatively looking t the 27th, but things have been odd with the Holiday.  I will keep this updated.

Paul