FrostReaver.net Forums

To register, please send an email to admin@frostreaver.net

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Titan Project: Painting the Legion  (Read 537 times)

FrostReaver

• First, I blew the Rhino...
  • Administrator
  • COOKIE!!!
The Titan Project: Painting the Legion
« on: November 30, 2014, 07:25:42 PM »

A few days ago, I put black spray primer on the Warhound I already had magnetized. With all of the primer finally dry, I broke out the airbrush and started spraying the first coats of paint. As I mentioned before, this is my test model. I'm planning on painting one all the way to completion before I start working on the rest. Honestly, it's already paid off. Here's what it currently looks like:

I started with Scab Red and have since decided that it was a mistake. The color is just too dark and looks more purple than red. I'm most likely going to end up stripping it back down to resin and starting over. I may try spraying a lighter shade of red over this top first though, just to save time.

As you can probably tell, the yellow is still splotchy and unfinished. Unfortunately, my airbrush got dropped on the concrete floor during cleaning and it's currently fucked. New parts are on the way and when they get here I'll be back to work on this.
"Come on Fry! We've got slavin' to do!" - Bender
"Oh that woman! Got a mouth like an outboard motor!" - Foghorn Leghorn

My Project Logs

FrostReaver

• Administrator
  • COOKIE!!!
Re: The Titan Project: Painting the Legion
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 02:35:54 AM »

I had some time on my hands tonight and with the airbrush currently out of commission, I couldn't make any more progress on my test model. I did stop by Hobby Lobby and grab some Vallejo red paint that I think will work instead of the Scab Red from GW that I originally tried. When I do get the airbrush working correctly again, I'll spray some and see how it turns out.

In the meanwhile, there's still a lot of other work to do on these titans. I still have a lot of flash and mold lines to clean and there are magnet to put in. Tonight though, I decided to primer the Warhound parts I cleaned up last week so they will be ready and waiting for paint when I finish my test model. Even applying primer to this much shit is a multi-day project. So tonight I just spread out what I could in the space I had and started spraying. Below are the before and after pictures.

That's it for today. More soon.

My Project Logs

FrostReaver

• Administrator
  • COOKIE!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 03:16:13 PM »

Ok, the airbrush is back up and running and I've been making some real progress on these models. Even though I haven't posted much in the last couple of weeks, I've still been taking pictures of everything, so this post is going to be rather picture intensive. Let's get started.

I finally found the red I wanted for this project. I picked it up at Hobby Lobby (now that they carry Vallejo) and got started spraying the red. It takes a good three coats of paint to cover the black well, but the airbrush keeps things controlled and the black provides a nice pre-shading that makes my life easier in the end. Obviously, I started spraying red on the legs sections I had done and primered. Here are the legs after the initial coats of red:

As you can see in the picture, I also resprayed the main body portion of the Warhound I was going to use as a test model. With the airbrush issues eating valuable time, I've decided to scrap the test model idea and just paint these things. Here's a closer look at the red on the Warhound body:

The one glaring issue that I missed was a giant hole in one of the Warhound "toes". There a huge air bubble that I didn't fill. I really have no idea how I missed it, but something is going to have to be done. Check it out:

While I was waiting on the leg sections to dry and my fingers to stop cramping, I pulled out the rest of the body sections I had cleaned and ready for the Warhounds. After a final inspection to make sure I hadn't missed anything like the air bubble above, I laid them out and spray primed them all black. I'd just like to take a minute to mention how much spray paint gets used for something like this. I really hadn't thought about how much it would take when I got started, but so far I've already used 3 cans of flat black paint just for primer purposes alone. The good news is that I'm cheap and my normal primer is the cheap shit from Wal-Mart. At less than $2 a can, at least it's affordable. Back to the point though, here's the body sections after primer:

With the airbrush working and time to kill, I started spraying the red on the body sections. It took a while, but I'm happy with the results.

There's still a lot to go, but at least there some measurable progress. More updates as I go.

My Project Logs

FrostReaver

• Administrator
  • COOKIE!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 09:50:39 PM »

No pictures tonight, but I did go to Hobby Lobby and find the yellow I wanted to use. It's made by a company called Wicked Colors and it's designed for airbrush use. As always, I used my 40% off and got about twice as much as a Vallejo bottle for a little over $3.

As soon as I got home I put some in the airbrush and put the first coats on the carapaces for the Warhounds. As you can imagine spraying yellow over black is going to take a few coats, so right now it's kinda splochy. I hope to get another coat or two on tonight and I should be ready for some more pictures tomorrow.

My Project Logs